Alleigh Luja. My oven and cooktop are finally in!
The gits who installed the kitchen didn’t build the cupboards to the standard specs, so the old oven was shoved in as far as possible and leaked heat like a sieve, therefore burnt all the surrounding cupboards. We were so, so lucky that the oven, and kitchen didn’t go up in flames, it was only a matter of time. I told SO, see I did need to buy a new oven. I saved us.
I’ll be cooking up a storm tonight as I’ve volunteered to cater our Mother’s Day lunch tomorrow at my parents place. It’ll be a tough one for mum, with Grandma passing 3 weeks ago, so being in the comfort of her own home, she can relax, have a few glasses of bubbles, and not need to be brave if she doesn’t want to.
We ducked out to Fyshwick Markets after 2 bitterly cold games of netty, and I bought a few special things for lunch tomorrow.
The menu for tomorrow is:
- Prawn and dill sandwiches
- Cucumber sandwiches
- Mini bacon and egg rolls (quail eggs – sourced via Twitter, thanks @bizzylizzycooks, Gyspy black speck, mini semi-sourdough baguettes)
- Beetroot, caramelised onion and blue cheese tart, with rocket salad
- Sourdough with dukka and basil EVOO
- Chocolate yoghurt cake
- Fresh berries, mini meringues and cream
Throw in a few glasses of sparkling wine, some lovely company and you have a relaxed, well fed, kinda posh Mother’s Day.
What are you doing tomorrow? Going out or staying in? Whatever you decide, I hope you spend it with loved ones, and all you mum’s get spoilt, even if you have to do it yourself!